Friday, February 22, 2013

waitress to pigeons


most days i bring 3 pounds of bird seed into the city. i toss some crushed crackers into the air to get the attention of the birds that are on the building ledges and when a few have come down to eat the crackers, i pour out the seed.

 

 i've read a little bit about pigeons since i started doing this and city pigeons live a really harsh life. i often see birds--one of them is in this group--with only one leg, or with a foot missing. it gets me to see them in particular trying to get their share.

people walking by have different reactions to seeing me do the seed thing. one guy menacingly told me--a few times-- that he would spit on me if i fed the pigeons near him.  a sidewalk sweeper approached me and i thought i was in for another bad event.  he wanted me to know that it was better if i put the seed off the curb, on the street. that way other street sweepers wouldn't push the little yums into a pan and take them away.





No comments:

Post a Comment